Pins & Needles (IVF Part 1)

If you've been reading for a while, you know about our miscarriages. 


If you're new, I invite you to go check those out here
*trigger warning: violent, vivid descriptions of miscarriage*

Miscarriage 1
Miscarriage 2
Miscarriage 3

Miscarriage is common. Studies show that 1 in 4 recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. 

Recurrent miscarriage, which was our issue, is not common. According to the University of Southern California, a pregnant woman has a 2% chance of having 2 miscarriages in a row. The chances of having 3 in a row? 1%.  

The term "recurrent pregnancy loss" (or RPL) is defined as "three or more consecutive losses of recognized pregnancies."

There are many causes of RPL. 

To find out why, we went to a fertility doctor. We had all the blood work, a hysteroscopy, and genetic testing of the last embryo we lost so that we could discover the cause.

I have what's called "antiphospholipid syndrome." You can read a more detailed account of what APS is and what that means on the Mayo Clinic website here. I'll also write a post at a later date regarding my emotional reaction to this diagnosis. 

In short, APS is a rare autoimmune disorder that causes clotting as a form of attack on healthy tissue. 

My body is confused. It attacks my pregnancies. 

No cure is currently available, but my doctor assured me that with daily injections of Lovenox (a blood thinner similar to Warfarin) beginning at the earliest sign of pregnancy, we greatly increase my odds of carrying to term. 

Of course, Paul and I asked if there was anything that could increase our odds even more. 


Enter IVF

IVF increases likelihood of a healthy embryo based on the results found through embryonic genetic testing.
ALL the medication

IVF Schedule

Friday- AF begins (an abbreviation for menstrual cycle, aka "Aunt Flow") 
Saturday (Day 1 of IVF)- I went in for a sonogram to make sure I'm clear of cysts, and we got the go-ahead to start! 

I took my first injections Saturday night at 7:00pm.

  • 100ml Follistim (stimulates my body to release more eggs)
  • 225ml Menopur (helps mature those extra eggs)

Day 4- Sono showed 9 eggs, 6 maturing. Meds stayed the same.

Day 6- Sono showed 10 eggs, 9 maturing. Meds stayed the same but with the addition of Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. Ganirelix becomes part of my morning routine.

Day 8 Sono showed 12 eggs, 9 mature. 

Image from Dallas IVF paperwork showing what my ovary currently looks like, and how they'll go in for retrieval. Keep in mind, I only have one ovary, but you get the gist. 


Day 10 (today) showed 15 eggs, 12 mature. They gave me an extra dose of Follistim to get those last three mature before egg retrieval. At 10:30 tonight, my husband will give me an intramuscular injection of HCG to trigger ovulation, and we'll go for egg retrieval at 10:30am Wednesday. 

My Head

When I attended my med training at the fertility clinic, I ran through the entire process with the nurse five times, talking through it so that I was confident about administering my injections. 

Follistim isn't difficult at all- it's a vial put into a pen that I set to my dosage then stab into my belly and push a button.

Menopur requires reconstitution of three vials of the medication from powder form to a liquid solution.

I went to nursing school before I changed my major to English. 

My mom also had diabetes. 

I know how to give an injection. 

Still, when I went to give myself the shots, I panicked. 

How much is in each vial? 
I don't think they sent the right needles.
What if I stab too hard or bend the needle? 
This can't be so easy. I messed something up.

After talking myself out of my anxiety, I just went for it. 

And? It wasn't so bad. The instructions are really easy to follow and the needles are super small. They don't really hurt all that much. 


and My Heart

I am excited.

I feel so incredibly blessed to be able to do this.

I am terrified.

I feel so incredibly guilty.

I get to do all this because my mom died.



Comments

  1. So exciting!!! I've never known anyone on this IVF journey, and to think this is how I am going to become Gran to your child! 💕 And the gift you speak of...well, I cannot think of a more beautiful gift from your momma than this. Through loss, there can be life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Eggspectations

Sorry, Meryl Streep (IVF Part 2)

Womb for Improvement: Poor Egg Protocol