Living and Grieving

Purpose:

Since I started this blog, it has evolved. 

Originally, it was a grief diary to journal about my miscarriage experiences. 

Then my mom passed away, and it became a grief diary for that, too. 

But why am I writing? 

Why? 

There are a few reasons. 

Partially? 

1) Telling My Story

Humanity becomes more human through the telling of stories. This past year, I've developed and carried quite a heavy albatross. I  feel the need to tell my story because I have this unbearable need to share it. 

2) Keeping a Record

Someday, I will look back on this time. I don't want to forget any of my experiences or losses. I'm discovering new things about myself every single day of this journey. I want to remember. 


and this is the big one...

Related image

3) Educating & Opening Dialogue

We don't talk about grief. Actually, let me rephrase that. We don't talk about living and grieving. In movies and tv shows and books, we see reactions as people grieve, usually within the first year of the loss. Once beyond a certain point-I think that's generally around a year- we are expected to shut up about it. I want to open a dialogue with others about their grief journeys, because losses like that change you.

We don't talk about pregnancy losses. They are so incredibly common: 1 in 4 pregnancies. And while we might see miscarriages in media- Grey's Anatomy, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Help, Masters of Sex- the subject is still largely taboo. 

There are so many questions still left unanswered. 

Among them,

  • How do the fathers deal? 
  • How does a miscarriage affect later pregnancies? 
  • Is it something that should be shared with children? 
  • How should medical professionals treat families dealing with this? 
  • How should acquaintances and friends and loved ones react?
Over the next year or so, I will address the above questions while also taking you along on my IVF journey. I will discuss how I'm coping with having a baby without my mother's direct guidance. I will do my damnedest to make people talk about this. 

These are conversations that need to happen.

I invite you along on this intimate, personal journey. 

I plan to be real and honest and raw. 

At times, what I'm writing may be difficult to read, but I encourage you to continue on.

I won't sugarcoat or pretend these things didn't happen

This story includes loss and pain. 

But it is so much more than that. 

This is a story of healing and hope. 


Related image

Comments

  1. I look forward to being a part of your journey, Heather. You are a very special woman in my life and I want to support you where I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Cyndy. Thank you so much for joining us on this journey!

      Delete
  2. I too, look forward to reading about your journey. I have been through all of the above and journaled about it too. It helps a lot, and Charlie can read it to know how he came to be. If I can support you in any way, please reach out. It can be a difficult journey, but one well worth it! Baby dust to you so we can move on to sticky dust!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Eggspectations

Sorry, Meryl Streep (IVF Part 2)

Womb for Improvement: Poor Egg Protocol